22/10/2019

How To Achieve A Smooth Foundation Finish

A smooth foundation finish is not only aesthatically pleasing, but also makes applying and playing around with makeup so much more fun. Over the years I´ve tried myself through lots of different products to achieve exactly this finish - and let me tell you, there are so many cringe worth-y pictures from my early teen years, where I had a thick foundation layer + lots of powder on - absolutely horrible!
Finding the right foundation, that fits for you in terms like feeling, coverage, finish, etc., is definitely a huge part of getting a nice complexion, but there´s so much more you should look out for.
I´ve listed the points that I found that have helped me to get a nice clear skin and then also a beautiful foundation finish:

Skincare

Logically a smooth complexion begins with a good working skincare routine. It feels like it took me ages until I´ve found skincare products that actually work for me. Ever since I´ve been around 14, I´ve been trying myself through so many different products, none really worked for me. Since around one year I´ve build a routine that works so well for me, that I often get asked which foundation I´m wearing, even though I´ve got nothing on besides powder, because my skin is so clear.
So basically what I´m using is the Garnier Micellar Water to take my makeup off, then to really clean my skin I use the PIXI Tonic, right now I´m using the Rose version, but I also really like the Glow version. I´m always so suprised by how dirty my skin still is after taking my makeup off - so I really recommend to reach for a tonic every evening, it makes a huge difference that´s even instantly noticeable! In the end I apply a thin layer of the Hello Body Night Cream, it´s sooo good! It´s quite thick but still sinks in really fast and gives a good amount of moisture. In the morning I use the Hello Body Day Cream, it feels a lot lighter and gives my skin a nice glow.

Prep & Prime

You could have the world´s best foundation, without a good working primer it just won´t look as good as it could or as you hope it would. Ever since I´ve started to wear more and more makeup, I´ve also started to try myself through many different primers, from drugstore ones to high-end ones. In my opinion a good primer can definitely cost a little more, because looking back now for examples the Maybelline Baby Skin Primer for around 5€ was absolutely horrible compared to the Benefit Porefessional for around 30€, which hid my pores so well and just gave me a nice and even complexion. I went through 3 tubes of the Benefit Primer before finding the NYX Angel Veil, which is by far the best I´ve tried. The consistency is a bit thicker, but it hides my pores without clogging them and costs only 16€. So it´s really trail and error with primers, but please never leave them out of your makeup routine. As there are so many different ones on the market, you´ll definitely find one that fills your needs. I prefer the ones that hide pores, but every now and then I also reach for those who give me a nice glow.

The Perfect Foundation

Speaking of the world´s best foundation, it´s so important to find one that´s just perfect for you!
First off you should check what skin type you are, oily, combination or dry and based on that you can go on the hunt through the huge selection of different foundations. I have combination skin that tends to dry skin so for me foundations with a semi-glow finish are the best. At the start I´ve also tried a matte foundation and quickly noticed that this kind is definitely not right for me. So again it´s really just trail and error. I often listen to recommendations from other bloggers but not even then every foundation is right for me, even though we have the same skin type, as every skin reacts different to the ingredients that are in each foundation. The best example was that I´ve tried the Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, everyone loves and raves about it, it´s supposed to give a nice glowy finish, well I´ve tried it, it looked horrible and gave me lots of pimples - in the end I´ve used it three times before giving it away, sad but now I know that it´s just not something that works for me.

Blending

Everyone prefers a different kind of blending method or tool, but after trying several different brushes I´ve stuck with my beauty blender. It´s unbelievable how flawless it blends the foundation into your skin, like there are no patches or streaks, just an even complexion. Not only is it a lot faster and easier to blend everything out, you also don´t "lose" as much foundation as you do when working it in with a brush. I´m sure there are a few that are better to be worked in with a brush but for me my beauty blender is definitely my number one.

Set

Lastly we´ve got to make sure everything stays in place. I prefer to use pressed powders rather than loose ones, simply because I don´t like the feeling loose powders leave behind and also some of them give a white flashbacks when you take photos with the flash on. A little tip from my side is to use light brown powders, like the The Body Shop Honey Bronzer, rather than translucent ones. It just gives you a hint of colour which is especially good during the winter when the summer tan fades away. I´ve been doing that for about a year and I just like the finish so much better.
Often powders leave a light layer of powder particles behind, to get rid of these I use setting spray. Just be careful to not use too much as you don´t want anything creasing away, so 2-3 spritz are more than enough.

So that´s how I get an even foundation finish that I´m more than happy with and often get asked about.

Do you have any tips on how to get a smooth foundation finish?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig